Professional footballers regularly encounter difficulties and a lack of support with regard to personal development, education, psychological guidance, financial help and employment advice.
The report focuses on the important role of the staff at player associations commonly known as Player Development Managers (PDMs.)
Download the full report by clicking on the link below.
Here are some of the topics the report covers:
Role of a PDM
Player Development Managers provide holistic support towards players in the following areas:: a) education & development, b) career, c) personal development, d) financial literacy and e) wellbeing.
Case studies help raise awareness about the importance of player development. Through a database, data can show the value of PDM programmes. Surveys and interviews help to measure satisfaction levels.
Examples of good practice
- Creating awareness among athletes
- Setting up collaborations with support providers such as universities
- Finding the necessary resources for running programmes
- Offering different types of support to players
- Creating tools and materials such as a CV database