Stephen Appiah celebrated for humanitarian work
Friday 10 August
Stephen Appiah will receive a special award for his career as a professional footballer and his humanitarian work. The former captain of the national team of Ghana will be honored by the Emklan Group.
Last Friday in Accra, the capital of Ghana, the Emklan Group announced that Appiah will receive the prize for humanitarian work at the second edition of the annual Showbiz Honours Festival, which will be held on December 24. During a special ceremony the former Black Star (69 caps) will receive a cash prize of 20,000 Ghana cedis, a one-year office paid sponsorship for his foundation, an honorary plaque and an all paid weekend get away with his wife.
The award is determined by a confidential committee (the college) for any individual within the entertainment circles for at least five years. Stacy Amoateng, the chief executive of the Emklan Group, explained the choice of Stephen Appiah during a press lunch on Friday August 3 indicating that the selection committee did a very good job in selecting Appiah because of his rich football record and his philanthropic attitude towards depressed people.
The award scheme which was constituted in 2011 is aimed at recognizing the immense contributions of Ghanaian celebrities towards society. Thus, aside from leading the Ghana national team to two consecutive World Cup finals, Appiah is also noted for his generosity. On several occasions, his StepApp Foundation brought relief to deprived communities in Ghana.
Stephen Appiah is a former player of amongst others Hearts of Oak, Parma, Juventus and Fenerbahçe. He is the first vice president of the professional footballers’ association of Ghana, the PFAG.
- 23-05-2013 Malouda conducts draw Tournament Central Europe »
- 22-05-2013 Viktor Fischer conducts draw for FIFPro Tournament »
- 21-05-2013 Ibrahimovic wins UNFP football Trophy »
- 21-05-2013 Career fund report shows improvement is possible »
- 21-05-2013 Report: Holland most attractive country for footballers »
- 17-05-2013 Video: the opening of the new FIFPro House »
- 15-05-2013 Barcelona players honour FIFPro with surprise visit »
- 13-05-2013 Didier Drogba opens new FIFPro House »