FIFPro Tournament: a fantastic stage for players
Monday 30 July
FIFPro welcomed the news that the first participants from last week’s FIFPro Tournament signed a new contract. Tijs Tummers (organization) and players’ advisers Patrick van Diemen and Louis Laros look back at the tournament.
Within days after the FIFPro Tournament, three players from Team Spillerforeningen (the Danish players’ union) signed at FC Fyn, a club in the Danish second division: Jens Mårtensen, Rune Nautrup and captain Jacob Rasmussen.
In The Netherlands, two players from Team VVCS also found a new club: captain Norichio Nieveld signed a one-year contract at PEC Zwolle, a team from the Dutch premier league, and Istvan Bakx joined AGOVV Apeldoorn (second division).
Tijs Tummers, secretary FIFPro Technical Committee
‘The FIFPro Tournament is becoming an institute’, is the conclusion of Tijs Tummers, spokesperson of the tournament organization. ‘Clubs from all levels visited the tournament, from Manchester City to clubs in the French third division. Even Manchester City was happy with what we offered here at the FIFPro Tournament in Rijnsburg.’
Patrick van Diemen and Louis Laros, players' advisers VVCS
‘It is fantastic that the players get a stage like this’, explains Patrick van Diemen, a players’ adviser from the Dutch professional footballers’ association VVCS. Van Diemen and his colleague Louis Laros talk about the value of the FIFPro Tournament for the footballers who are looking for a new contract.
- 19-06-2013 Call for action in fight against match-fixing »
- 19-06-2013 First female member in Costa Rica: Shirley Cruz »
- 17-06-2013 In Croatia, 58 players have blocked bank accounts »
- 14-06-2013 Mahmoud Sarsak: ‘Football is my weapon of resistance’ »
- 14-06-2013 Agim Ibraimi named Player of the Year in Slovenia »
- 13-06-2013 Modric and Sammir Best Croatian Players »
- 12-06-2013 Montenegro: union warned for European football ban »
- 11-06-2013 Barça players show solidarity to suffering colleagues »