FIFPro welcomes approval for use of headscarves
Tuesday 10 July
FIFPro welcomes the decision of the IFAB to approve the wearing of headscarves for female football players. This rule change enables all women in the world to play football. FIFPro is a strong supporter of this rule change.
Until recently, FIFA banned women who wore the Islamic headscarf (hijab) from playing in regional or international matches. Last Thursday, during the IFAB meeting, the IFAB unanimously approved the wearing of headscarves. The approval has temporarily been granted during a trial period. The design, colour and material permitted still need to be defined and confirmed by the IFAB, which will take place following the IFAB annual business meeting in Glasgow, in October 2012.
The IFAB opted for a trial period because of the lack of medical literature concerning injuries as a result of wearing a headscarf. The IFAB will review the use of the headscarves in 2014, during its annual general meeting.
Provided the headscarf is safe for all players on the pitch, FIFPro is of the opinion that female players should be allowed to wear appropriately designed headscarves.
Earlier this year, FIFPro Division Asia president Brendan Schwab and FIFPro’s Women’s Football Committee supported Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein (FIFA vice president representing Asia) who recommended the rule change to the FIFA executive committee.
Schwab: ‘FIFPro has always been a strong supporter of the rights of all women to play football and of Islamic women to play football wearing headscarves. We believe that the participation of women is extremely beneficial, not just for the individual involved but for our game generally.’
- 23-05-2013 Malouda conducts draw Tournament Central Europe »
- 22-05-2013 Viktor Fischer conducts draw for FIFPro Tournament »
- 21-05-2013 Ibrahimovic wins UNFP football Trophy »
- 21-05-2013 Career fund report shows improvement is possible »
- 21-05-2013 Report: Holland most attractive country for footballers »
- 17-05-2013 Video: the opening of the new FIFPro House »
- 15-05-2013 Barcelona players honour FIFPro with surprise visit »
- 13-05-2013 Didier Drogba opens new FIFPro House »