Irish players surprised by withdrawal of their club
Monday 18 June
The Irish professional footballers’ association PFAI is surprised and disappointed with the withdrawal of Monaghan United from the League of Ireland. Currently, after 14 rounds of matches, the team was bottom of the Irish Premier Division.
On Monday morning, Monaghan United announced their withdrawal from the League of Ireland. The club cited a number of reasons for opting out. In a statement the club said it was mainly a financial decision to quit.
The PFAI, the Irish players’ union, stated it was surprised and disappointed. ‘Prior to this, no discussion had taken place with the PFAI nor was any indication of their impending withdrawal communicated to this association.’
‘No player we have spoken to was contacted by the club prior to the statement being released and many players first heard that they had lost their jobs through Twitter.’
‘We find it extraordinary that no attempt was made to reach a solution with the players either directly with them or through this association. Situations like this have arisen in the past and agreements have been reached in order to keep a team in the league.’
‘It is hugely disappointing that players and fans have seen a club withdraw from the league in these circumstances without an effort being made to explore all possibilities with the players.’
‘It is, however, a relief to hear that all creditors will be paid and we assume that players’ wages which are currently in arrears and the remainder of their contracts will be honoured. We look forward to hearing from the club with details of how these payments will be made.’
The PFAI expects that the players from Monaghan United can sign for another club immediately.
- 17-06-2013 In Croatia, 58 players have blocked bank accounts »
- 14-06-2013 Mahmoud Sarsak: ‘Football is my weapon of resistance’ »
- 14-06-2013 Agim Ibraimi named Player of the Year in Slovenia »
- 13-06-2013 Modric and Sammir Best Croatian Players »
- 12-06-2013 Montenegro: union warned for European football ban »
- 11-06-2013 Barça players show solidarity to suffering colleagues »
- 10-06-2013 Edward Herrera announced Best Player in Malta »
- 07-06-2013 Don’t Fix It training: dedication by all stakeholders »