Bulgarian players honour Moraes and Todorov
Thursday 14 June
The Bulgarian professional footballers association ABF crowned the best players in their country. Two players captured the spotlight: Junior Moraes and Darin Todorov.
The ABF had asked all players in the Bulgarian First and Second Division to cast their votes for the best in the 2011-2012 season. It was the eleventh time that the footballers’ union had orchestrated these elections.
The professional footballers in Bulgaria picked Junior Moraes as the Best Player in the Bulgarian championship. He is a 25-year old Brazilian striker, who joined CSKA in the summer of 2011. Moraes scored on his debut, on 12 September 2011 in a 3-0 home win over Lokomotiv Plovdiv. He scored from the penalty spot. It was his first of sixteen league goals in total. Moraes grew out to be a very important player for CSKA Sofia, even though CSKA did not capture the Bulgarian title.
Junior Moraes beat close competition from Emil Gargorov (from surprise champions Ludogorets) and Hristo Yanev (Litex Lovech).
Georgi Milanov (Litex Lovech) was elected Best Young Player. Chernomorets coach Dimitar Dimitrov was voted for Best Coach for the past season in Bulgaria.
The ABF handed out three special awards during the award ceremony. Levski player Hristo Yovov received an award for Outstanding Contribution to Football. The players of Chernomorets Burgas were awarded the Sportsmanship Award for their fair play on the pitch.
And there was a special tribute to Darin Todorov. The 23-year old defender received the Bravery and Character Award. On 17 January 2010 he was involved in a car accident, when on his way to sign a contract with a new club. He was taken to hospital where he spent more than a year in coma. A year ago he woke up from his coma. Ever since, he is in a rehabilitation process.
- 17-06-2013 In Croatia, 58 players have blocked bank accounts »
- 14-06-2013 Mahmoud Sarsak: ‘Football is my weapon of resistance’ »
- 14-06-2013 Agim Ibraimi named Player of the Year in Slovenia »
- 13-06-2013 Modric and Sammir Best Croatian Players »
- 12-06-2013 Montenegro: union warned for European football ban »
- 11-06-2013 Barça players show solidarity to suffering colleagues »
- 10-06-2013 Edward Herrera announced Best Player in Malta »
- 07-06-2013 Don’t Fix It training: dedication by all stakeholders »