Spanish footballers mourn death of Manuel Preciado
Friday 08 June
The Spanish football family was shocked on Thursday because of the death of Manuel Preciado. The popular coach and member of the Spanish footballers’ association AFE died of a heart attack at the age of 54.
On Wednesday, Preciado had agreed to sign a contract at relegated Villarreal. On Friday he was to be presented at the Madrigal stadium and attend a press conference.
The Spanish professional footballers association expressed it deepest sympathy to the family and relatives of Manuel Preciado. He was a board member of AFE from 30 March 1988 to 29 November 1994.
Manuel Preciado was a former coach of Luis Manuel Rubiales, the current president of AFE, when he played at Levante. Rubiales was devastated by the news of Preciado’s death.
‘Manolo Preciado was a unique preson’, Rubiales said. ‘I am sure that there is not one footballer who says that he does not like Manolo Preciado. On behalf of all the Spanish footballers I want to send the most sincere condolences to his family and relatives.’
- 19-06-2013 First female member in Costa Rica: Shirley Cruz »
- 17-06-2013 In Croatia, 58 players have blocked bank accounts »
- 14-06-2013 Mahmoud Sarsak: ‘Football is my weapon of resistance’ »
- 14-06-2013 Agim Ibraimi named Player of the Year in Slovenia »
- 13-06-2013 Modric and Sammir Best Croatian Players »
- 12-06-2013 Montenegro: union warned for European football ban »
- 11-06-2013 Barça players show solidarity to suffering colleagues »
- 10-06-2013 Edward Herrera announced Best Player in Malta »